Background of Project
Since 1996, Department of Foreign Affairs of Quang Tri Province (Quang Tri DoFA) has been assigned by Provincial People’s Committee (PPC) to be the focal point of coordination for international MA programs in the province. There are several NGOs addressing the various pillars of humanitarian mine action. Provincial Military Commanding Post and some units of central engineer corps of Vietnamese Army have also conducted ERW clearance projects in the province with funding source from Viet Nam Government and international NGOs.
In reality, each mine action organization has its own standard operation procedure and lacks of coordination. There is sometimes overlaping in mine action activities.
In 2013, Quang Tri DoFA and Norwegian People's Aid (NPA) in the cooperation implemented the Project Provincial Database Unit in Quang Tri Province (DBU) and the capacity of the DBU is only to provide the information to stakeholders and and propose tasks. It is known that the DBU is an instrument for coordination.
The signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in implementing Project “Establishing Legacy of War Coordination Center of Quang Tri Province”
On February 12th, 2015, Quang Tri Provincial People's Committee issued the Decision No. 319/QĐ-UBND to approve the Project "Establish Quang Tri Province Legacy of War Coordination Center" that donated by Norwegian People’s Aid.
The LWCC Project will provide Quang Tri Province with information, manuals, training and a mechanism for coordinating mine action operators and stakeholders to overcome and respond to the need for clearance in support of its socioeconomic development. Within the Scope of the Project, the performance will be measured through the following indicators:
- Instructions to draft and approve documents related to MA activities.
- Number of workshops and conferences hosted and attended by the LWCC staff.
- All Stakeholders survey, clearance and explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) activities is consulted by the LWCC.
- All mines action stakeholders’ activities being coordinated by the Provincial Legacy of War Coordination Center/LWCC.
- All communities of Quang Tri Province will directly or indirectly benefit from the Legacy of War Coordination Center .
- All provincial, district and communal departments and offices will directly or indirectly benefit from the Legacy of War Coordination Center
Objectives of the Project
- Long-term objectives
Cluster munitions and other Explosive Remnants of War pose no obvious risk to people and are no longer an obstacle to development in Quang Tri.
- Immediate objectives
- Set up an annual mines action operations planning process.
- A task dossier system is established and operating.
- Mine action is integrated into the provincial socioeconomic development planning process.
- A risk management system is developed and in place.
Main Activities of the Project
- Conduct assessment on mine action and the socioeconomic development planning process.
- Draft a manual to integrate mine action and socioeconomic development planning.
- Conduct a workshop on the integration of mine action and socioeconomic development planning.
- Conduct an assessment on linking operational planning to the national and provincial funding process.
- Draft an operational planning, cooperation and management manual.
- Conduct a workshop on operational planning, coordination and management.
- Draft plan and procedures for land release and risk management.
- Conduct a workshop on land release and risk management.
- Conduct an assessment on existing risk management protocols.
- Draft a manual on risk assessment and mitigation.
- Conduct a workshop to launch new risk assessment protocols.
- Draft gender in Mine Action assessment report.
- Train personel.
- Share experience with National and other provinces.